The moulds are continuously maintained in perfect operating conditions throughout their useful life.
With over 45 years of experience, and after producing thousands of high quality moulds, Polymos has become an industry leader in North America. The Polymos team stands out from its competitors thanks to our its creativity and its unique expertise in the manufacturing of complex and efficient tools, as well as in the moulding of high precision expanded polymer components.
- Pre-expansion: The first step of the process consists in expanding the polystyrene particles. The small beads are steam-heated in order to expand the gas (pentane) contained in the cells. At this step of the process, the foam density is adjusted with precision and the additives are blended in (color, antistatic treatment and others…)
- Maturing: This is the stabilization step, where air penetrates the beads and replaces the pentane. It is a necessary step to ensure an efficient moulding and the quality of the parts. This step takes place in a storage silo for a period of one to three days. Past the three-day mark, the expanded material quickly loses its potential for moulding. This phenomenon requires the close monitoring of the aging process.
- Moulding: This is the shaping process. The matured beads are injected into the steam-heated aluminum mold, which allows the beads to expand a second time and to fuse together before being cooled down, the piece is then stabilized in its final shape.
- Overmolding: Metal or plastic components can be inserted into the moulds to produce composite parts that can be used in engineering applications. Materials with different densities can be fused together and a smooth, plastified finish can also be obtained if desired.
- Cutting: In some cases, the products are carved into blocks of expanded polymer with multiple hot wires. CNC controls allow complex shapes to be produced.
- Quality assurance: All the products manufactured by Polymos undergo a strict, ISO 9001-certified quality assurance inspection. Every product comes with its own spec sheet and all the employees collaborate to the process, from beginning to end.
- Recycling: At Polymos, there is no waste. All our trimmings and non-compliant products are shredded and recycled into block products that allow recycle content.
Material: Each of the three main expanded materials comes in the form of small beads fused together. Each material offers its unique properties for you specific application.
- EPS: Expanded polystyrene is the best known material. Its range of applications is wide, mainly due to its insulating, structural and resilient properties. EPS parts are normally rigid and offered at a low cost.
- EPP: Expanded polypropylene is a cellular material is more resilient than EPS. This resin is normally used in more demanding applications, in terms of durability, resistance to solvents and temperature range. It is an engineering resin slightly more expensive than EPS.
- EPE: Expanded polyethylene is a very flexible cellular material. It is used in products requiring a high resistance to tear and multiple deformations, or for the packaging of very sensitive equipment. It is also an engineering resin slightly more expensive than EPS.
Quality system: Certified ISO 9001, Polymos is committed to the efficiency of all of its processes and to the high quality of its products. NQA (National Quality Assurance) is the firm acting as a registrar for this commitment to high quality standards.